The Heel originally opened in 1970 on University Avenue in Green Bay, Wisconsin. It then briefly moved to a former Buick dealership at the current Baylake City Center. Originally owned by Bob Sanderson, The Heel specialized in leather goods and western style footwear. Frye and Zodiac boots were the highlights of the store, and were very popular in the 1970s.
In 1982, The Heel took residence in the historic Rockstroh Bakery building on Adams St, in downtown Green Bay. The building was erected in 1894, and was originally inhabited by the Rockstroh family. The Rockstrohs immigrated to the United States from Germany, and were bakers and confectioners by trade. They ran their bakery on the first floor, and resided on the second floor above the business.
In 2009, Troy Dempsey came aboard and partnered with Bob to run the business. Troy’s pedorthic training allowed The Heel to start focusing on foot health, and carrying higher quality brands. In 2012, Troy took full ownership of the business from Bob. Between 2012 and 2016, Troy added 13 people to his staff, including a full time shoe cobbler.
In March 2017, The Heel relocated to it’s new home, located at 930 Waube Lane in Green Bay. This new space has more than three times as much sales floor space, has easy access to Highway 41, and offers convenient parking.